At St. Stephen’s School we have written a sustainable travel plan for children and parents travelling to and from school. We were awarded a silver star and are currently working towards the gold star. We want to reduce car use on the school run by encouraging more children to travel safely to school on foot, by bicycle or on the bus. We are taking part in the Mayor's Air Quality Audit for Schools
What are the benefits of travelling to school by bus, walking, or biking?
- Reduces congestion on the roads and in the vicinity of the school.
- Improves the safety and perception of safety thus leading to an increase in walking and cycling.
- Cleaner air quality and less noise.
- Improves fitness.
- Better relations with the school neighbours and local businesses.
- Decreases dependence on the car.
- Increases independence of children and greater awareness of road safety.
How are we promoting sustainable travel options?
- Walk to school Week
- Available bike and scooter storage
- Cycle training
- Pedestrian training
- Scooter training
- Use of public transport on most of the school trips
- Poster competitions
- Notices on the school website
- School assemblies
- Pupil & Staff Survey
Click here to view St. Stephen’s School Travel Plan