Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND)
St Stephen’s school ensures that all children with additional needs have opportunities to thrive and flourish, demonstrate their abilities and overcome barriers.
Our ethos is embedded within our vision statement and our school values of Friendship, Service, Peace, Kindness, Respect, Thankfulness and Forgiveness. We have a cohesive approach to additional needs, training teachers and support staff to develop their awareness of a range of needs and enabling our learners to acquire knowledge and build self-confidence.
For all our children (regardless of their race, gender, ethnicity, social background, religion, sexual identity, physical ability or educational need) we are keen to ensure they are rounded individuals who are prepared for their future in an ever-changing world. To that end, we encourage our children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities to develop their skills and talents and to be as independent as possible.
- Please see our SEND Information Report for Parents and Carers.
- This should be read in conjunction with our Quality First Teaching Document.
- In addition, please click below to read our SEN Equality Policy.
Please click on the following button to go through to the SEND Local Offer for Richmond.
This is a website containing information about services and support for children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities, and their families, in Kingston and Richmond.
If you don’t live in Kingston or Richmond, your home local authority will have a Local Offer on their council website.
Please see below for the Richmond SEN Threshold Guidance from Achieving for Children.
SEND Local Offer for Hounslow
Your guide to services available for children and young people aged 0-25 years with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). The Local Offer should:
- give information about education, health and family support services
- give information about leisure activities and support groups
- hold information in one place
- present information in a clear, comprehensive and accessible way
- make service provision more responsive to local needs and aspiration
- be developed and reviewed with service users and service providers
Please see below for the Hounslow SEN Threshold Guidance.
Special Educational Needs and Disability Register
All local authorities must have a record or register of children with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities (SEND) in their area. If you live in either Kingston or Richmond, we encourage anyone whose family includes a child or young person whose has a special educational need* or disability** to register. Everyone on the register will benefit from:
- Information about support, services, activities and events
- Information aimed at young people with disabilities
- Opportunities to have your say about the services that are important to you
- The knowledge that your anonymous statistical data is helping us to plan and improve services
Find out more and register on the SEND Local Offer website
SEND Information, Advice and Support (SENDIASS)
The Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) in Kingston and Richmond offers advice and support across a wide range of subjects. This may include help with personal budgets and how to use the Local Offer plus:
- support with understanding reports and letters, attending meetings and preparing for assessments and reviews
- information and signposting to support services in your area
- support with Transition and Preparing for Adulthood
- support with and signposting to mediation
- advice and support on benefits
These services offer advice to children and young people as well as parents and carers.
Phone: 020 3793 9596
Richmond Parent Carer Forum
Richmond Parent Carer Forum (PCF) is an independent group run by parents for parents or carers of children/young people (aged 0 – 25 years) who have any form of special educational need or disability. Your child does not need an official diagnosis for you to become a member and we support families of children with any type of additional need including learning difficulties like dyslexia.
We receive funding from the Department for Education and our purpose is to ensure that the voices of parents, children and young people are heard in the planning and implementation of SEND services in Richmond. We can also help you to access services and provide valuable peer support, connecting you with other parents who understand the special joys and challenges of raising a family with additional needs.
Hounslow Parent Carers Forum
Hounslow Parent Carers Forum is a group of Hounslow-based parents or carers of children/young people (aged 0 to 25 years) with disabilities or special educational needs and local professionals.
The Forum meets monthly to discuss real issues that affect families such as health, education and employment. Professionals are there to share their current plans and to hear what parents have to say. It is also a place to share information parent to parent and to ask questions.
Meeting monthly at Hounslow Youth Centre, Kingsley Road, Hounslow, TW3 1QA